Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Moon Called

I was a little disappointed with Moon Called (2003). First of all, according to Kirchinger’s Principle #4, Moon starts off at a 95. There is not enough humor in the book to count. But as promised, I am also reviewing non-humor books, especially SciFi and Fantasy.


I’ll tell you why I am disappointed. The book started off with a bang. It started out with deep, mysterious, interesting characters who obviously had inter-relationships that would take us awhile to get to know. Brigg’s take on shape-shifters and werewolves is interesting and original. Her writing style is fantastic. She knows how to use words, turn phrases, write great dialogue, keep characters in voice, keep a story intriguing.

I have high praise for Patricia Briggs as a writer. Very high praise. I’d give her a 95 (see principle #4).

But then half way through the novel the plot just disappears. The tension falls out. I’m sitting in my easy chair drooling cause nothing is happening. The main character, Mercedes takes an injured friend to her hometown for a quiet place to heal. Unfortunately, the trip home becomes a prolonged journey of introspection for Mercedes. When this happens, the book turns from an intriguing work in fantasy to the kind of book my wife would like; an exploration in relationships and a person’s past. It becomes a chic-flick, an emotional journey.

Sorry, Patricia, I couldn’t get past the middle of the book. And whoI am I to give you a mediocre score? I’ve only just completed my first novel, and haven’t sold it yet. (Of course I haven't tried yet). And here you are, a successful serial novelist. I'm sure you have more credibility than me. I know you keep selling books in this series, so it must be good, but I can’t get past the middle. Too much toucny feely introspecion and retroscpection. I stopped caring in the middle of the book, and I put it down and forgot where I put it.  Maybe I'll try another one from the Mercy Thompson series later.

86 -- not very funny, plot sags in the middle and loses focus. On the positive side, Briggs has a lot of talent as a writer.
Maybe you would disagree with me on this book. Briggs is a very good writer, and this book might appeal to you more than me. There are a lot of good things about her writing..  You might think about trying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment