Saturday, September 19, 2009

How to Use This Blog

I want this blog to be useful to you. If you are considering between one or two new authors, and haven't heard much about them, then I want to be one more friend that offers you an opinion. I've been standing in the aisle at Barne's and Noble, passing new authors from hand to hand, wondering if the book is as good as the synopsis sounds, or if I really just want to buy the book because of the really hot woman in the nightgown on the cover. Look to my blog before you consider starting a new book or new author. I’ve read hundreds of books. It will take some time, but I plan to review them all. Right now, there are only a few reviews up, but eventually there will be hundreds. That means eventually, this blog will be useful to you, if you are interested in the same kinds of books as me.

I will give a book a score between 0 and 100, and the score is mostly gestält. Basically, every book starts at 100, but a very rare book will end at 100. I am more interested in promoting books with humor than those without, for philosophical reasons stated in my post on “What I Report on and Why.” If there is virtually no humor in a book, then it loses 5 points off the top. So if it is otherwise perfect, it is a 95 point book. I’ve read some books that I have loved that lacked humor. When I review them, they might just get a perfect 95. Some of my favorite books that are very funny have lacked high literary standards. So while Douglas Adam’s Hitchhiker’s series changed my life, they won’t be getting 100’s. Likewise, I will remove points for books that are notably lacking in any of the areas noted below. At the end of each review, I will post the score, and why I gave it. Mind you, these are not bullet points that each author has to hit in every book.

If you taste is similar to mine, then read the books that score 90 or higher

If you taste is different than mine, then read my review and decide for yourself if this sounds like a book you'd want to read.

I will try to make easy links to Amazon for everybook I review, just in case one really piques your interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment